How to apply - Students Graduated in Italy
For admission to this second cycle Master’s degree, students graduated in Italy must
- hold one of the requested qualifications:
- a first-level degree awarded by an Italian University in classes L-13 (Biological Sciences) and L-2 (Biotechnology) in accordance with the order regulated by Ministerial Decree 270/2004;
- a first-level degree awarded by an Italian University in classes 12 (Biological Sciences) and 1 (Biotechnology) in accordance with the order regulated by D.M. 509/1999;
- a first-level degree other than those listed in points a) and b), awarded in Italy and deemed suitable by the Evaluation Committee;
- possess the following curricular requirements:
- knowledge of the structure and functions of biological systems. In particular, it is necessary to have a good knowledge of the following basic disciplines: Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular Biology, Pharmacology, Physiology and Genetics. In addition, basic academic knowledge in disciplines related to mathematics, physics, informatics, chemistry and biochemistry is required.
- knowledge of the English language corresponding to at least B2 level of the CEF (Common European Framework). An English language proficiency certificate is not required for enrollment
Application and enrollment procedures for students who graduated or are about to graduate in Italy are:
A. Students holding a Bachelor’s degree in Biology (L13 DM 270/2004 or class 12 DM 509/1999) or Biotechnology (L2 DM 270/2004 or class 1 DM 509/1999) from an Italian University with a score ≥ 92/110 before October 3, 2022, can enroll directly without admission test (direct enrollment) between May 16th and October 3rd, 2022, following the instructions reported at page https://web.unipv.it/formazione/iscriversi-a-una-laurea-magistrale-o-ad-una-laureamagistraleplus/chi-puo-immatricolarsi-plus/ .
B. Students holding a Bachelor’s degree in Biology or Biotechnology from an Italian University with a score < 92/110 awarded by the 3rd of October 2022 have to pass an admission exam.
C. Students of Biology or Biotechnology that will graduate after the 3rd of October 2022 and earned at least 150 CFUs by the day admission exam have to pass an admission exam.
D. Students holding a degree, or about to graduate, in disciplines other than Biology or Biotechnology must request a pre-evaluation of their qualifications. These students must contact the Coordinator of the Master Degree Programme in Neurobiology by sending an email to email@example.com by September 4th , 2022. These students will receive an email notifying whether their academic curriculum is suitable for the Master Degree Programme and will be invited to take the admission exam.
E. Students enrolled in the third year of a Bachelor’s degree course who are about to graduate in disciplines other than Biology or Biotechnology have to pass an evaluation of qualification and admission exam.
The application for evaluation of qualification and admission test requires the payment of a 35 € fee.
Please note: students with European citizenship can apply following the procedure described in this. European students following this procedure are required to take the admission exam like in cases D or E.
Step 1: Registration on the website of the University
Students must register on https://studentionline.unipv.it/esse3/Home.do . The application form must be submitted electronically between July 1st and September 12 (at 23:59, Italian time), 2022. The procedure is described on this page.
Step 2: Application for evaluation of qualifications ("concorso unico")
All students must apply for evaluation of qualifications (called "concorso unico"). Students eligible for direct enrollment will be enabled to enroll. The documentation of students who are not eligible for direct enrollment will be evaluated by the student secretary and, eventually, by the Evaluation Committee. If their academic qualifications are suitable for the MSc in Neurobiology, they will be automatically registered for the admission test.
After logging in into their personal area, students must enter into section Menu (right corner) > Admissions > Evaluation Test (if the Italian language is set, then it is Menu > Segreteria > Test di Valutazione), select Neurobiology and upload the required documents. The procedure is described on this page. All self-certifications must have been signed (physically or digitally). Self-certifications without a signature will not be accepted.
The student secretary will evaluate the submitted documentation and will assign one of the following statuses:
- Superato/Idoneo (Eligible), the candidate is eligible for enrollment. This status is associated with students eligible for direct enrollment (case A) or who passed the admission exam (cases B-E).
- Colloquio/Test (Admission Exam), the candidate must take the admission test and will be automatically registered for the admission test for the program (cases B-E with curriculum suitable for this MSc). Students will be required to pay a 35 € fee to take the admission test.
- Respinto/Assente (Failed/Not eligible), the candidate is not eligible for enrollment or failed the admission test or did not take the admission test
- In valutazione (Under evaluation), the candidate asked for the evaluation of a previous career with the same level of the MSc in Neurobiology. The documentation is under evaluation to verify if previous exams can be recognised. The request for evaluation requires the payment of a 35 € fee. After the evaluation, the status will change into either Superato/Idoneo or Colloquio/Test or Respinto.
Students must check statuses in their reserved area (https://web.unipv.it/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Visualizzazione-stato-concorsuale-LM-1.pdf).
Step 2b: Admission exam
Students who are not eligible for direct enrollment but possess a suitable academic curriculum will be required to take the admission exam. Admission exams will be carried out via video conferencing on September 20th, 2022. Each student will receive an email containing the schedule of the admission exam and the contact address of the Evaluation Committee. The test will be an oral exam in English on basic concepts in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Pharmacology and Physiology.
The exam may have one of the following outcomes:
- unconditional admission to the Master’s degree course;
- admission to the Master’s degree, with a list of the examinations to be passed in order to make up any credit deficits;
- non-admission to the Master’s degree due to insufficient knowledge of basic Biology concepts.
Step 3: Enrollment
Detailed procedure on this page. Students who are eligible for direct enrollment or that successfully passed the admission test, when required, will have to submit electronically their enrollment application between May 16 and October 3. To enroll, students eligible for direct enrollment must first register on this page, students who successfully passed the admission test already carried out the registration. Then, students eligible for direct enrollment and students who successfully passed the admission test must login in their reserved area, then click Menu (right corner) > Segreteria > Immatricolazione.
Late enrollments after October 3 will also be accepted upon the payment of an additional fee (82 €).
The access to this Master’s degree programme is also open to students who are about to graduate in a discipline suitable for the access to a Master’s degree course and earned at least 150 CFUs (ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) by the day of the admission exam. Graduation must occur within the 31st of March 2022.